Welcome to the Online application service
Application period 2020 for the Sibelius-Academy Foundation starts on 27th November 2019 at noon and ends on 22nd of January 2020 at 4 p.m. (Finnish time).
Please read the Dean's Policy for granting scholarships on the Sibelius Academy Foundation website before you create an application.
Grants are only awarded for the purposes of furthering the applicant’s studies, e.g.:
- master classes or summer courses
- competition trips
- certificate in education administration
- studies that are carried out elsewhere but included in the student’s degree
- repair and maintenance of an instrument.
- In 2020, a share of the grants will be awarded to support students’ own artistic projects, which are carried out in the Töölönlahti area or elsewhere off the university premises. Projects where students explore new ways of performing and experiencing music and that reach new audiences will be preferred. The aim is to encourage students to gain experience in applying their own skills in different environments and in planning and implementing their own artistic projects
Grants cannot be awarded:
- for purchasing instruments or related equipment.
- for covering students’ living expenses (housing, food, etc.). Note that grants for master classes must primarily be used for covering the course fee, and, if necessary, travel expenses.
- for master classes held by applicant’s own teacher.
- international student exchange (SibA international office will apply for funding from the Foundation in order to grant scholarships for all students going on student exchange through the academy’s partnership agreements.
Grants can’t cover
- instrument or equipment purchases
- normal living costs (rent, food etc.)
- master classes held by the applicant´s own teacher
- international student exchange (SibA international office will apply for funding from the Foundation in order to grant scholarships for all students going on student exchange through the academy’s partnership agreements)
Criteria and basic guidelines
- When awarding grants, the University of the Arts Helsinki’s strategy and the Sibelius Academy's operating principles must be taken into account.
- The criteria for awarding these grants have to be equally applied to all candidates regardless of the applicant’s department, programme or subject.
- Junior Academy applicants’ travel costs are not prioritised, as the affordable lessons given by the Sibelius Academy teachers are already considered a great support to Junior Academy students.
- One can receive a grant only for one purpose.
- Those applicants, who have not received a grant in the previous year, are ranked first.
- The grant must be used during the calendar year 2020.
- Grants are not awarded retrospectively
- Grants are awarded to students in all departments within the rules that the foundations have stated.
Please register before you log in.